I Am A Federal Employee. How Do I Enroll In Medicare?

Federal employees can enroll in Medicare just like anyone else. They do not have any special considerations during the application process. The Federal Employee Health Benefits program or the Railroad Retirement Act replaces the role of a Medigap supplemental policy. When a person reaches 65 years of age, he goes to the social security office and fills out the application. As long as he meets what few guidelines for the program there are, he does not need to worry about getting turned down.

What Does Change for Federal and Former Railroad Employees?

Medicare does not care much about where a person works. It gets about their age, whether or not a person can work, and if they have American citizenship. Legal residents may have the citizenship requirement waived in certain cases. However, the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program or the insurance offered by the railroad retirement act follows a person even after he leaves the working world behind. If a retired federal worker has any of these policies, they become his supplemental policy and his secondary payer to hospitals and other medical facilities.

Do I Have To Show Medicare I Was a Federal Employee?

Medicare will ask about other insurance policies a person has when he or she applies. The insurance policy from either of these two federal programs will let the agency know of a person’s status, if they did not know already. Working for the federal government does not give a person any advantage or disadvantage in the application process. Working for the Social Security administration or for Medicare itself may give a person a slight edge if he understands the beauractracit process. Either way, a federal worker’s new insurance card will come in a timely fashion, or at least it will come in what passes for a timely fashion in government agencies.

Leave a Reply