How Do I Become A Senior Companion?
Together with the help of volunteer companions, who're themselves our seniors, the elderly with actual physical as well as psychological needs receive additional care to allow them to stay independent in their own individual homes and stay away from nursing homes. Assistance is supplied free of charge.
Who's Qualified To Receive Companion Services?
Preferred local community organizations, like the Alzheimer's Association, Veterans Affairs Medical Center as well as Parkland Memorial Hospital, direct clientele to the Companion Program. The staff, in assistance with these types of organizations, is in charge of the training, positioning and guidance of the Senior Companions. Get in touch with the Director of the Senior Companion Program regarding details on generating referrals to this program. Personal recommendations aren't recognized.How Senior Companions Help
Senior citizen Companions offer 20 - 40 hours per week in the house of a elderly client. They will supply support in numerous areas such as:
* Socialization - Supplying friendship; talking and listening; providing peer guidance.
* Escort services - Accompanying clientele to health-care doctor's appointments as well as to recreational and sociable occasions.
* Assistance care - Helping with respite care; discovering local community services; conversing client needs to program personnel.
* Personal care - Helping with grooming, feeding as well as doing exercises.
* Home managing - Assisting with light house cleaning as well as mealtime preparation.Conclusion
In general senior companions help with assisted living for the elderly that are still ambulatory so that they will be able to stay in their respective homes. Helping with doctors appointments, personal care, care of the clients home, and just in fact supplying needed friendship for people that have, for the most part, outlived their friends and relatives, is what the program is really all about. Senior Companions are most needed in these positions when there will be 77 million baby boomers moving towards retirement who will need, somewhere down the road, a hand up. If you need these services or would like to help the elderly in your spare time, contact the Director of the Senior Companion Program in your area just by calling the operator.